Enjoying The Ride

        Although 2021 has been an improvement from the odd, unpredictable year that was 2020, this year has had its share of ups and downs, particularly given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the rise of the Delta Variant. As I look at the ups and downs for me personally, I know of them has been this: I haven't published a blog post in over 8 months. In fact, I didn't even due a "Life Lessons Learned" post at year's end -- and 2020 certainly had many of those. 

        A lot has (obviously) been going on, and there were times that I started to write a post, but never finished or published it. In my life, I've often found that writing truly is a muscle - the more you use it, the stronger you'll get. Conversely, when you get out of the habit of doing it, you "lose" that muscle and it becomes harder to do. Another thing that I have found is that over time, one's priorities can change. While my Saturday mornings still do include trips to the grocery store, they haven't included blog posts as much lately. And although I do wish I had written more posts over the past few months, I am reminded that there is a time and place for everything  (see Ecclesiates 3) and that we all do go through seasons, including ones where there's less writing. With all that in mind, I did want to share an ongoing lesson from this year, one that touches on some of the highlights of 2021 for me: enjoying the ride.

The Journey, not the Destination

        For the longest time, I have heard the saying that it is not about the destination, but about the journey along the way. In life, we often find ourselves pursuing different "destinations"  in the form of ambitions, dreams, goals, and so on. When we find ourselves in pursuit of those destinations, it is easy to lose sight of the journey that we're taking along the way and only focusing on the destination. For example, in high school, I remember really wanting to graduate and move on to college, especially as senior year pressed on. Still, one piece of advice a teacher would say to seniors was not to wish the time away. As a senior in high school, it is so easy to be fixated on the destination (graudation or even college) that you lose sight of the journey (senior year itself -- and the 12 years of education that led up to it). 

        The same definitely held true for me in college -- I found myself counting down the days until I graduated over the course of my final semester. When I look back on my time in college, I admittedly wish I spent a little bit more time enjoying the college experience -- not to say that I wish I had graduated later, but that I had enjoyed the time that I did have in college more. College, like high school, can be tricky where our focus is set on the next chapter, such as graduation, further schooling, the workforce, and so on. Those times of searching, applying, and interviewing really can be stressful and not the most enjoyable of times. Still, that doesn't mean that we take time to soak in what we do have before it's on to the next chapter. After all, life does have a way of turning on a dime. The past year and a half are living proof of that. 

        When we are able to enjoy the ride and journey on the way to our destination, it makes reaching that destination all the more enjoyable as we reflect on all that it took to get there. With graduations, a lot of hard work goes in to get to that point. The same will hold true for promotions or other exciting chapters in our lives -- there's a lot of "behind-the-scenes" work that goes in to everything that others may not see. And when we think about all that we endured or went through, coming out on the other side or at our desired destination becomes that much sweeter. 

Sic 'em Bears!

        This year, one highlight for me has definitely been watching basketball. Growing up, the three sports that I would often find myself watching were football, basketball, and NASCAR. As mentioned in the past, I randomly latched on as a fan of the Green Bay Packers, which then spread in to a fandom of the state of Wisconsin and other sports teams like the Wisconsin Badgers and Milwaukee Bucks. While I do still have a soft spot for the Badgers in my heart, I'm naturally going to root for Baylor, my alma mater, first. 

        Going in to this year, I knew both Baylor and the Milwaukee Bucks would have good basektball teams. That said, I knew that this was also true in 2020 and ended in disappointment. Baylor, a team on pace to receive a 1-seed, didn't get a chance to compete for the title as March Madness was cancelled due to COVID-19. Meanwhile, the Milwaukee Bucks had the best record in the league before the NBA went on a COVID pause. While play did resume months later in a bubble, the Bucks were not the same team as they were before the pause. They ended up getting bounced in the second round of the playoffs. Seeing these results were both disappointing. It's hard to win a championship in any sport, and I've often found basketball to be one of the toughest. And given that neither Baylor nor the Bucks have been historical basketball juggernauts (like Duke, Kentucky, the Boston Celtics, LA Lakers, etc.), seeing them miss out on a championship also hurt. Opportunities like that don't come by all the time. 


        With 2021, Baylor once again had a great basketball team, one that was ranked in the Top 5 in the polls all season long. Still, I couldn't help but find myself nervous, particularly after the Bears experienced a pause where a lot of the team had COVID-19. Prior to the pause, the Bears were undefeated and looked good enough to win the National Championship. After the pause....I was less sure. My heart said that they would do it, but my head figured another team (like Gonzaga or Illinois) would win it all. As March Madness began, it really was exciting to be able to watch games again, especially after not having any the year before. And with the exception of Baylor's first round game, I was able to sit down and watch the rest of them. 

         Over the course of Baylor's run to the Final Four and National Championship, I kept telling myself that they were good enough to win, but that anything could happen. Each game had its own way of being tense for me (they could have been up by 50 points and I would still be nervous), but each time they pulled through with great defense and an awesome team effort. Given that I didn't see much basketball before March Madness, it truly was a joy to watch Baylor play and see how much fun the entire team was having. It was clear that the players and coaches truly enjoyed each other's company and played a fun, competitive style of basketball with a relentless defense and great 3-point shooters. 

        As Baylor journeyed to the Final Four for the first time in 71 years, it was surreal knowing that they could win it -- and a bit awkward knowing that they were going to play Houston, the local team here. When it came time for the title game, the Bears were up against an undefeated and favored Gonzaga. Going in to the game, I found myself continually saying that the Bears were good enough to win, but not knowing if they actually would. Well...Baylor led the entire game and left no doubt that they were the best team. As the time ticked off at the end, it was pure joy seeing Baylor break through and win a national championship. Speaking of joy...the Bears themselves talked about having a "culture of JOY" - Jesus, Others, Yourself, something that made them all the more fun to watch. Seeing Scott Drew come out a champion after coaching the Bears for years was awesome. Knowing how hard it is to win the championship, coupled with the disappiointment of the year before, truly made this a special run, one that I'll forever cherish and remember. 

Fear the Deer!

        Flash forward a few weeks later, and it was time for the NBA Playoffs. Going in to the playoffs, I found myself cautiously optimistic reading that some experts were picking the Milwaukee Bucks to make -- and win -- the NBA Finals. Given that their first oppponent was the Miami Heat, the team that knocked them out last year, I did have my concerns. Still, the Bucks avenged last year's defeat with a sweep. In the next round, they took on the Brooklyn Nets, a team stacked with All-Stars and generally viewed as the team to beat in the playoffs. While the Nets were not at full strength, the Bucks pulled through again, beating the Nets in Game 7 on the road. When I checked the final score of the game (I was too nervous to follow or watch), I was super excited, but knew it was far from over.

        In the Eastern Conference Finals, the Bucks were actually favored with the home court advantage with the Atlanta Hawks. It ended up being a tough series, as Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Bucks' best player, got hurt and missed time. However, the Bucks pulled through and made it to the NBA Finals for the first time in 47 years. Like Baylor, this truly was unchartered territory for me in my fandom. In the NBA Finals, the Bucks faced the Phoenix Suns, a team searching for their first championship. Tuning in to Game 1 of the NBA Finals and seeing the Milwaukee Bucks in it was surreal and something I couldn't have imagined 18 years ago (you know, as an 8-year old watching them get bounced in the first round in 6 games). The Bucks dropped the first 2 games, and I started getting nervous, holding on to the fact that they were down 0-2 to the Nets and won that game. 

        After a great Game 3 win, both Games 4 & 5 featured tense 4th quarters. In both instsances though, the Bucks made clutch plays to win -- and my optimism started growing. The days leading up to Game 6 for me were nervous times, telling people I was cautiously optimistic. After a slow start to Game 6, the Bucks came on strong in the second half with a great performance by Giannis. As the seconds winded down, my heart was filled with joy -- and I admittedly teared up some. For the first time in 50 years (and in my lifetime), the Milwaukee Bucks were NBA Champions. 

    Similar to Baylor, the Bucks really were a fun time to watch. The players and coaches truly enjoyed bieng around each other and were a team that had overcome past disappointments. Growing up a Bucks fan, I was accustomed to seeing them finish in the middle of the pack and either just make or miss the playoffs. They didn't get much media attention or nationally televised games, and stores didn't have Milwaukee Bucks gear or Michael Redd jerseys (granted, that's not surprising in Virginia). And while my fandom wasn't always hardcore, they always were my team at heart. Side note here: I did do an internship with the Charlotte Hornets a few years ago (and have some Hornets gear), so they do have a special place in my heart. However, they will always be #2 to the Bucks. 

        For me, the Bucks' win hit me harder than Baylor because of those days of watching them in the early 2000s coupled with the recent disappointments as they have become a contender. And seeing players like Giannis Antetoukounmpo, a player with humble origins from Greece, or Khris Middleton, a longtime Bucks player with Giannis, win rings was gratifying. It made them fun to watch and so easy to celebrate. Between the Bucks and Baylor, it really was a special year. 

Closing Thoughts & Reflections

        As I reflect on these runs by Baylor and the Milwaukee Bucks, I'm reminded by how much fun it was along the way. While the games may have been tense, it was a joy to be able to watch them play and see them pull through in tight games or situations. While not all rides may end in reaching that ultimate destination (see the 2020 Packers), I am reminded that one can still enjoy the ride and journey along the way. And hey, given the status of a certain quarterback for the Packers, I'm telling myself to simply enjoy the ride this season and see where things all go. No matter what happens, it's been a pleasure watching Aaron Rodgers play. 

    When I look at my own life, enjoy the ride and journey is something that I am continuing to work. Each day is a blessing from God and an opportunity to serve Him and give thanks to Him. That starts by being intentional with my life and how I go about it each day. While there may be certain destinations in life that I find myself striving for, I am telling myself to enjoy where I am and make the most of the season that I am in, even in the midst of a pandemic. If we can't enjoy the journey, it's going to be harder to fully enjoy and appreciate the destination. 

        One Psalm that I enjoy is Psalm 118, where the first and last verse of it read "Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; for His steadfast love endures forever!" When we are able to give thanks to God to start off our day (and before our day has truly begun), it sets the tone for our day. As we go about our day, there are often challenges and obstacles that will come with it. That said, if we begin our day giving thanks to God for all that we have, how much more beautiful is it when we give thanks to God at the end of the day after all that we have endured? In that sense, each day is its own journey, one that we can strive to make the most of and enjoy. May we do the same in our lives for all the journeys and rides that we find ourselves on, as it will make reaching those destinations all the more beautiful. 

        If you've made it this far down, thanks for reading! There's more I would love to share with thoughts and reflections I hope to share here in the future -- and there hopefully won't be an 8 month hiatus again. But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy each day for the blessing that it is. It will make life's destinations all the more enjoyable when I get there.


Sic 'em Bears! Fear the Deer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons Learned From 2021

Lessons From Jonah

26 Reflections