26 Reflections

     This past Friday, I celebrated my 26th birthday. While I wish some of the circumstances surrounding it had been different (you know, being in a pandemic), it was a nice day filled with typical Will-things such as walking, good food, good friends, and of course cake. When I turned 25 last year, I wrote a blog post with quarter century reflections. In honor of turning 26 this year, I thought I'd do a blog post with...26 reflections (this time in number form, as opposed to paragraph form). I'm all about being consistent with blog posts. Well, here we go!

  1. Speaking of consistency, that truly has been a lesson I've been learning; consistency is key. In all that we do, being consistent is one of the best attributes we can have. It provides a sense of stability to ourselves and for others. You can depend and rely on consistent, faithful people. We all need people like that in our lives, especially right now.

  2. Ecclesiastes 3:1 says that "For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven". The following verses contrast different matters such as weeping and laughing or mourning and dancing (3:4). Furthermore, Ecclesiastes 3:7 contrasts "a time to keep silence, and a time to speak". Lately for me, I've found myself in a time of keeping silence.

  3. Why has it been a time of keeping silence for me lately? Well, in general, this has been a quieter season for me. This past August, I stepped down from serving in one role. For me, I've often viewed taking a break or resting up as something that's selfish or something that I shouldn't be doing. During this time, I've been learning that it truly is okay to give yourself a break and take time to rest. We all need to take care of ourselves.

  4. While I am on the subject of breaks, one thing that I've tried to take a break from (to an extent) has been social media. Like most things, social media is best enjoyed in moderation. 

  5. I truly am a creature of habit and a routine-oriented person. Sometimes though, I get so caught up in following my normal routine that it causes me stress or anxiety, particularly if it gets thrown off. For as much as I do enjoy having a normal routine, I'm learning that it's okay to deviate from it sometimes. Life's never that routine to begin with.

  6. It's fun to look back on past writings. As I skimmed through blog post titles over the past year, it's amusing to see ones like "Ripped Pants". Like Spongebob, we sometimes use self-deprecating humor like ripping our pants to gain laughter or acceptance. Don't make that mistake. It doesn't work out in the long run. 

  7. Another post that caught my eye, one that was written pre-COVID, was "Chutes & Ladders". Like the board game, life rarely moves along a linear path; it's filled with ups and downs, sometimes in the same turn. For a lot of people, 2020 has felt like going down one long chute. Hopefully that means we'll start climbing up the "ladder" soon.

  8. Pixar's Ratatouille, Remy mentions that "the only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability". Man, Remy's quote pretty much describes 2020 in a nutshell. That could be a good life lesson learned this year...

  9. If I were to do a superlative for what's been my "song of the year", I would give the nod to "I Can Just Be Me" by Laura Story. I love the bridge where the song talks about being lost in this dark world until being found in Jesus Christ. We're all lost in this dark world without Christ. When we're found in Him, we learn that we don't have to have it all together or do it all on our own - and that's because we can't. We all sin and fall short without Him. But by His grace through our faith in Christ, we are saved. 

  10. You know what? I'll throw in one more superlative: "food of the year". This is a tough category to pick, but I'll go with chocolate lava cake, with bagels a close second. Lava cake has managed to supplant Double Stuf Oreos as my favorite dessert, one that is a nice Friday night treat. As for bagels, I discovered this year that Central Market has fresh, delicious bagels that make for a nice Saturday morning breakfast.

  11.  When I look back on the year that was 24, the year got off to a tough start, but ended up being a pretty great year. As I reflected on the year that was 25 last week, the year got off a pretty great start but ended up being a tough year (more on this later). You never can tell how something will turn out based on the start.

  12. Before I get to some of the tough pieces of 25, let's start with some of the highlights: having family visit Houston for Thanksgiving, winning an award at work, going home to Virginia for Christmas, celebrating my Grandma's 90th birthday, going to El Paso with my sister, reading some good books, having parents in town for Fathers' Day, going for countless walks, great conversations with friends, and becoming a part of the teaching rotation in class at church. You truly do learn the most through teaching.

  13. Well, now that I've listed some of the good parts of 25, I'll address the "elephant in the room" first: enduring a global pandemic and seeing all the devastation and consequences that have come with it. It's hard seeing so many people lose loved ones, their jobs, homes, businesses, and so much more due to COVID-19. On a smaller scale, it's been hard not being able to regularly see family and friends or miss milestones such as graduations or weddings. And to know that we're still in the midst of this with a clear end not in sight yet is difficult (not to mention that uncertainty and anxiety that comes with it)

  14. Other tough parts of 25 included starting the new year with a pesky cold, struggling with things like weariness, anxiety, and bitterness, feeling stuck in "Groundhog Day" like Bill Murray, or seeing all of the tension/unrest in our country and across the world (and the division that's come with it) 

  15. The last few reflections aren't meant to say that there was more "bad" than "good" that came with 25. It was easier to split up COVID-19 into its own category. That said, I do recognize that not every year is going to be a "great" year, so to speak. It's okay to acknowledge that it's been a tough year. It's certainly better than lying or pretending that it wasn't a tough year.

  16. On the subject of acknowledging it was a tough year, I'm reminded that God wants us to do the same with Him. He wants to hear from us and wants us to be open and honest with Him. After all, He already knows how we're feeling before we ever say a word. Being open and honest with God to the point of expressing our thoughts, feelings, emotions, or doubts is based upon a strong faith, not a weak one. And when we do come to God with that, it will ultimately make our faith stronger.

  17. One example of this that I learned this past year was with Martha & Jesus in John 11. In John 11, Mary and Martha sent a note to Jesus saying that Lazarus, their brother, was sick. They expected Jesus to come and immediately heal Lazarus. However, Jesus did not come right away and Lazarus did die. When Jesus arrived, Martha confronted Him and expressed her disappointment, saying that her brother would not have died if Jesus had been present (John 11:21). 

  18. The thing is, Martha did not stop with expressing disappointment. In the following verse, she says that even now, she knows that God will give Jesus whatever He asks. We need to have an even now/even if faith just as Martha did. Habakkuk 3:17-18 and Daniel 3:16-18 also provide examples of an "even if" faith. Even if God doesn't bring us the deliverance we are praying for, our hope is in Him alone. That will encourage us as we navigate difficult times like this pandemic where God may feel uncaring or absent. 

  19. On the subject of faith, I've been reminded -- and a bit convicted -- about what faith really is. Hebrews 11, a chapter known for the "Faith Hall of Fame", begins with "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen" (Hebrews 11:1). Living by faith doesn't mean looking for signs or looking at what we can see in the present. After all, living by what we can see isn't faith at all. Faith is trusting in God, in His promises, and in His love for us. 

  20. Life is full storms, both figurative and literal. In the midst of life's storms, it's easy to forget that God is with us or that He is in control. After all, our minds our likely focused on weathering the storm we're in or figuring out a way to get out of it. In some instances (such as in Mark 4), Jesus (literally) calms the storms that we face. And though He may not always calm the storms that surround us, we can find rest and peace in Him and in Him alone. Storm or no storm, He is in control.

  21. I'm learning to take things one day at a time. Matthew 6:34 reminds us not to worry about tomorrow, for today's troubles are enough. Worrying about tomorrow or the future (a tomorrow or a future that may not even happen, mind you) isn't going to help us today. Tomorrow is never promised and often doesn't unfold the way that we expect it or want it to unfold. And though we don't know what tomorrow brings, we do have today. And each day that we have is a blessing from God.

  22. As I think about each day, there are two songs that come to mind: "God of All My Days" by Casting Crowns and "God of Every Story" by Laura Story. God is with us each day and all that we go through - good and bad. I never want to lose sight of that or forget that He makes a way each day. And as one friend put it, we are all secondary characters in God's story. What a joy it is to be a part of His story.

  23. It is funny how there are some lessons that we find ourselves learning over and over again. We have a way of making the same mistakes multiple times or needing to have a lesson reinforced before we truly "get" it. Thankfully, God is incredibly patient with us and offers us grace when we do fall short. 

  24. In the spirit of turning 26, I have to admit that it's one of my favorite numbers, if not my favorite one. Here's the story behind that: years ago, my parents and I were at a show/presentation at Kings Dominion and they were picking volunteers for it. As they were deciding on volunteers, they had a number that people had to guess. My Dad correctly guessed 26, which led to me going up on stage for the show (I believe it was about the magic of the movies, such as special effects). So there you go! That's why 26 is one of my favorite numbers and why I'm excited to now be 26.

  25. To wrap-up 25, I'll share this anecdote: in NASCAR, fans joke that the 25 car is cursed or a jinx. With that in mind, I will admit that 25 wasn't always pretty and that it was an up and down year. However, I am thankful to God for this past year and all the lessons that I've learned and experiences that have come from it. I want to take all that I've learned and experienced and apply it to my own life. 

  26. As 26 begins, I've already had to remind myself that the way the year begins isn't necessarily an indicator of what's to come - good or bad. What I can do though is take each day one at a time and know that God is with me and all that I go through. I want to draw closer to Him each day and live out His Will, purpose, and plan for my life. I look forward to what God has in store for me this year. 

Thanks for reading! Cheers to 26 years!

Though the years go by, some things (like my love for flannel shirts) never do change


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons Learned From 2021

Lessons From Jonah