Living in "Groundhog Day"

     Today's calendar reads August 15 - and Houston's temperatures would certainly agree with that. Warm temperatures aside, there's a different date that's been on my mind for the past few weeks months: February 2, a day more commonly known as "Groundhog Day".

    Groundhog Day is synonymous with the 1991 comedy film of the same title starring Bill Murray. In Groundhog Day, Phil Connors (portrayed by Murray) finds himself reliving the same exact day over and over again: stuck in Punxsutawney, PA covering festivities for Groundhog Day. Although it is not clear how long Phil Connors is in this time loop, it is estimated by some that he was in it for 30-40 years.

    Think about that: Phil Connors was stuck in a time loop reliving the same exact day for over 30 years. Everything around Phil unfolded the same way each day -- the only difference between each day was dependent upon how Phil acted and behaved himself. When Phil realizes that his actions have no true consequences, he lives for himself and does whatever he wants; after all, when he wakes up it will be just Groundhog Day again. His actions include driving on railroad tracks, seducing women, and stealing money. Phil eventually falls into a depression and his actions turn to suicide attempts...only he keeps waking up to Groundhog Day the next morning. 

    With the advice of Rita, Phil's love interest, his actions on Groundhog Day shift to helping others and improving himself. He uses the time loop to help out the residents of Punxsutawney, as well as learning French, ice sculpting, and playing piano. After a Groundhog Day filled with helping others and impressing Rita, Phil confides that he's finally happy...and wakes up the next day to February 3rd.

   Although it has "only" been five months since quarantine kicked in, it is easy to feel the way Phil Connors did in Groundhog Day: every day seems to unfold the same exact way, creating a point where all the days blur together with one another. Admittedly, there have been times where I've had to remind myself or check to see what day of the week it was. Coming from someone that is routine-oriented, I've found myself feeling like I'm living in "Groundhog Day". And that's ultimately been a bit draining for me. 

    As time has gone on with being at home in quarantine, it's become easier to grow weary and exhausted. We've been living the same way for a few months now, and it doesn't feel like there is a true end in sight yet - and any potential one remains (at least) a few months away. When you're going through a difficult time, it can be discouraging to hear that things will remain challenging for a while. You can start feeling stuck or resigned to your current situation. Once those feelings kick in, it becomes really hard to overcome them. After all, there is a reason that you felt that way to begin with - feelings that were often valid, too. How are we suppose to overcome all of that? 

    I'll be the first to admit this: I've had to ask myself that exact question. It doesn't feel like there's a way "out" of this pandemic until there's either a vaccine and/or cases are kept under control. How am I supposed to get over feelings of being in a rut? How do I safely navigate these ambiguous, uncertain times? Well, one thing that I've learned is that it starts with my attitude and perspective. 

    A few weeks ago, I wrote a post about life's valleys and mentioned Psalm 42, a lament Psalm written by the Sons of Korah. Over the course of Psalm 42, the psalmist repeatedly challenges feelings of being cast down and says that they will hope in God, for He is their salvation. The way that psalmist feels at the beginning contrasts with the way they feel at the end. What's interesting about that is this: their situation hasn't changed! They are still in a valley, but they are hoping in God. The valley hasn't changed, but their attitude has - and that change started when they remembered God. I've noticed the same will hold true with some of David's psalms - when he find himself in a difficult situation, his attitude changes as he cries out to God and remembers His greatness. 

    For as difficult and challenging as a time this may be, I don't want to lose sight of God, either. It's okay to be worried or have fears and anxieties, but I want to cast those burdens and anxieties to God (Psalm 55). I don't want to let those feelings consume me or become permanent. That's not the way God wants any of us to live. Each day is a blessing from Him, even if we can't always see how it is. 

   In the past, I've mentioned that the things I can control in this pandemic are staying at home, wearing a mask, and social distancing. However, I forgot something: my attitude.  When I reflect on my attitude and feelings from a few months ago with where they are today, I've noticed a difference, but not necessarily a good one. I don't want my attitude to be dependent upon on my situation; I want it to be rooted firmly and securely in God. He is faithful, He is in control, and He is our Father.

    Phil reached February 3rd in Groundhog Day due to the change in his attitude and perspective about the time loop. He didn't wait for it to magically end or remain in a depression. He learned that living for others was more fulfilling than living for himself, too. While I realize that a change in attitude or perspective alone won't get us out of this pandemic, it will help us navigate it. 

    Moving forward, I don't want to look back on these days as a time that I fell into a rut that I couldn't get out of. I want to look back on these days as a time where I drew closer to God in the midst of life's uncertainties. This also means not just going through the motions each day but truly making the most of each day and finding ways to be productive. 

    Living in "Groundhog Day" has been challenging - and it is going to remain challenging for a while. However, that doesn't have to mean relegating ourselves to hopelessness or depression. In the midst of all life's trials, we can put our trust and hope in God and Jesus Christ, our salvation. That will guide us and lead us through not just this difficult time, but all the trials and struggles we face in our lives. And it is because Christ lives that we can face tomorrow, even if it's another "Groundhog Day". 

    Stay strong, my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons Learned From 2021

Lessons From Jonah

26 Reflections