Thoughts on this Past Week...

    Rest in Peace, George Floyd. Rest in Peace, Ahmaud Arbery. Rest in Peace, Breonna Taylor. 

    I truly didn't know how to begin today's blog post, but that seemed like a start. What happened to George Floyd was horrific, inexcusable, and is rightly called murder. For the cop to have had a knee on George Floyd as he said "I can't breathe" is sickening, let alone that there were other cops idly watching him die. All over an alleged forged check? Absolutely appalling. I can't imagine what the Floyd family is going through right now. May justice be served.

    There's a lot of hurt, pain, and grief going on in the world right now in the form of protests, riots and so much more. Curfews enacted, National Guard deployed, and a general sense of fear, tension, and uncertainty about what's next. Lots of questions right now and not many answers.

    I realize that I never will understand. In all the years that I've gone on walks around neighborhoods, parks, or when I've visited other cities, I've never had to worry about someone calling the cops on me or having cops approach me because I was viewed as a suspect. Walks or no walks, I've never actively had to worry about the color of my skin being an issue. That's white privilege. 

    Now, I realize that the last thing the world needs right now is a "white savior" or have a white guy lead any discussions on race relations. Yet I realize that I can't just sit back and silently read stories about George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, or anyone else. What does that mean for me then? Well, it starts with taking a step back and truly listening to people of color and their experiences. It means speaking up against injustices that arise and recognizing the privilege that I do have as a white guy. It means being an ally, a friend, a brother. I don’t know what it’s like to be a black person and experience what they’ve experienced everyday – and I never will. But I know that it has meant that there are systemic injustices that have (and continue to) hurt them.

    Two Bible verses have been on my heart lately. One comes from Micah 6:8 where Micah asks what the Lord requires from us. Micah writes that the Lord requires us to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with God. Justice won't bring back George Floyd, but remains a critical starting point. What's more, we can choose act justly each day, love kindness, and have our lives marked by how we walk with the Lord. 

    The second Bible verse that's been on my heart comes from Matthew 22, when the Pharisees and Sadducees ask Jesus what's the great commandment in the law. Jesus tells them "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself" (v. 37-39). Jesus goes on to say in verse 40 that everything from the law and the prophets hinges upon those two commandments. Having these two verses on my heart has been convicting for me, as it's been a reminder of how much I've sinned and fallen short. I need to be more loving to my neighbors, for everyone truly is our neighbor. Jesus makes that clear in His parable of the Good Samaritan. 

    As I've started reading 1 John, I've noticed how important those commandments are. John makes it abundantly clear that if we hate our brother but claim to walk in the light of Christ, we are lying to ourselves and live in darkness. We can't claim to know God and walk in His light if we don't love Him, our neighbor, or our brother. Because we are saved by God's love for us, we need to walk in that same love for Him and for our brothers and sisters. If we can show a fraction of the love that God has for us to our neighbors, brothers, and sisters, we'll be doing well. God knows that the world needs love, healing, and reconciliation right now. 

    Now more than ever, it's clear that we live in a broken and fallen world. We truly are in need of a risen and resurrected Savior in Jesus Christ. We're all one in the body of Christ, created in the image of God. Paul makes that clear in his letters to the Romans (10:12) and Galatians (3:28). I truly hope that we can start living that way in our lives. 

    I'll be the first to admit this: I don't know what the answers are to all of this. Race relations are a complex issue, one where we still have a long way to go on. We must do better. We can't turn a blind eye to what's happening. We must take a stand against racism in all forms and truly listen to our fellow neighbors, brothers, and sisters. It all has to start with us on an individual level. I want to do more listening, more loving, and be an ally. That all starts with my own heart and life. Black lives matter. May the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and so many others not be forgotten and may we never get numb to these tragedies. As Christ followers, may we live more like Him each day in our love for Him and for our neighbor. 

    Please stay safe, everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons Learned From 2021

Lessons From Jonah

26 Reflections