Thank You, Spongebob

     Earlier this week, while going on a run with a friend, we played the game "20 Questions" to help pass the time. There was one catch: it ended up being exclusively characters from cartoons and kid's shows (i.e. Mr. Rogers). It was a nice trip down memory lane and found me reminiscing about those shows.

     If I were to look back on my childhood, while there were plenty of shows I enjoyed watching, one show was always the clear favorite: Spongebob Squarepants. If I had my choice of watching any show, it would have been that one. As it turns out, I'm not the only one. To this day, Nickelodeon is still cranking new episodes of Spongebob Squarepants. Airing for nearly 20 years (the first episode aired in May 1999) and over 200 episodes (not to mention 2 full-length movies), it is the longest-running Nickelodeon show all of all time.

     Admittedly, with the exception of the 2nd movie, I can't remember the last time I watched a "new" episode of Spongebob Squarepants. For me though, when I think of Spongebob, I will always think of those first few seasons of the show in the early to mid-2000s that led up to the first movie. Those seasons provided memorable characters, episodes, quotes, and even songs (they had a song about having fun!). If one is with a group of people that grew up in the late 90s/early 2000s, all one has to do to get people to start laughing or talking is drop a Spongebob reference. Ask them who lives in a pineapple under the sea and they' shout "Spongebob Squarepants". Ask them if mayonnaise is an instrument and one will say "No Patrick, mayonnaise is not an instrument". Thanks to the Internet, Spongebob has also produced plenty of hilarious memes as well.

     I'll always remember Spongebob Squarepants for its great collection of characters. For Spongebob, the naive, eternally optimistic, titular character. For Patrick, Spongebob's not-so-bright but hilarious best friend. For Squidward, Spongebob's clarinet-playing next door neighbor and coworker that just can't catch a break. For Mr. Krabs, Spongebob and Squidward's penny-pinching boss and creator of the famed Krabby Patty, whose formula to this day remains a secret. For Sandy, a squirrel from Texas that loves science and karate (or kare-ruh-tay). And of course, for many other great characters like Plankton, Mrs. Puff, Mermaid Man, and Barnacle Boy.

     Spongebob produced plenty of memorable and funny episodes. If I were to make an unofficial list of my Top 5 favorite ones, it would go something like this:

    1. "Chocolate with Nuts" (Spongebob and Patrick become chocolate bar salesmen) 
    2. "Band Geeks" (Squidward creates a marching band to impress his rival Squilliam)
    3. "Shanghaied" (Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward become a part of The Flying Dutchman's crew)
    4. "Spongebob Meets the Strangler" (Spongebob hires a bodyguard to protect him from the Tattletale Strangler)
    5. "Pranks A Lot" (Spongebob and Patrick become invisible and pull pranks on everyone)
      **Honorable Mention: "Big Pink Loser" (Patrick does his best to win an award) 
     Last May, at Comicpalooza (Houston Comic Con), I had the privilege of meeting Tom Kenny, Bill Fagerbakke, and Rodger Bumpass, the voices of Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward. They were all friendly and put up with my horrible impressions and silly quotes. It was so great to meet them, hear them do their voices, and to be able to thank them for all the joy and laughter they brought me and my family growing up. The cool thing about it is that they have provided millions of people with that same joy and laughter - and across generations. When I met Tom Kenny and got his autograph, he left me a note saying to always use my (makes rainbow) imagination. Thanks to him, millions of people always will. 

     As I've gotten older, I only find myself watching Spongebob on special occasions now. To this day, the show still does bring a smile to my face. I'll always be thankful for the joy it has -- and continues to -- bring to so many kids' childhood, including mine. Thank you, Spongebob! 

Thank you, Tom Kenny/Spongebob

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Lessons Learned From 2021

Lessons From Jonah

26 Reflections